Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ol’whats-her name . . .

I have been fascinated by cemeteries and graveyards since I can remember. I love to explore amongst the headstones and see if I can follow the family linkages. One of the things that intrigues me the most is how we have changed culturally in the relatively short time that Canada has been a nation. And nothing illustrates that change more then how women were often treated on grave markers compared to now.
At least Lily Rogers has a first name on this headstone
St Michael & All Angels Anglican Church cemetery
4733 West Saanich Rd, Saanich (Victoria), BC
I have repeatedly come across head stones that refer to “So and So” and “his wife”. Sometimes she isn’t even mentioned by name although she is most certainly buried along side of him. In this age of enlightenment following the “women’s liberation” movement that occurred in the middle of the last century, it seems so strange that many women, wives, mothers, sisters and matriarchs of families did not have their own identity (and to this day do not if they were buried before the 1970's) .

We’ve come a long way baby . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment